Logo Miasta Sopotu

Przewiń do głównego menu ↓


About Sopot

Select a category:

The History of Sopot

The most important dates in the history of Sopot

The third millennium B.C.
The oldest traces known to date of man’s presence in the area of Sopot. Flint tools from the later Stone Age found in the second half of the 20th century in the neighbourhood of Okrężna str.

7th century B.C. – 2nd century B.C.
Archaeological excavations in the area of Górny [Upper] Sopot (in the Babi Dół [Old Woman’s Valley], on Zamkowa Góra [Castle Hill], at the end of the Świemirowska Valley, near the old shooting-range in Stawowie), in the form of numerous box graves equipped with decorated urns and containing burnt human remains, bronze implements and glass and amber beads, prove that in the early Iron Age the area around Sopot was inhabited by tribes belonging to the Eastern Pomeranian culture, also known as the culture of the facial urns. One such urn, found at the end of the 19th century at the corner of Gdańska str. (now Niepodległości Ave.) and Smolna str., is on display in the Archaeological Museum in Gdańsk.

1st – 4th century A.D.
Traces of a large settlement at the end of the Świemirowska Valley, a horde of silver Roman denarii found in the early years of the 20thcentury during the building of a house on Kasprowicza str., and bronze Roman coins found near Reymonta str., in the Gołębiewska Valley, and also on the shore in Karlikowo, all left behind by tribes of the Wielbark culture, which had trading contacts with Rome.

8th century A.D.
Near Gręzowo, on arable land now belonging to the Sopot Forestry Department, and in the area of Grodzisko, traces of Slav open settlements were discovered in the second half of the 20th century.

The turn of the 8th and 9th centuries
On the edge of the Skarpa Sopocka [Sopot Escarpment], between two deep gorges of streams cutting through the escarpment, a wood and earth fort was built to protect the open settlements which were quite numerous at that time in the area of today’s Gdańsk and Gdynia. The early medieval fort was inhabited until the 11th century. The earthworks have been preserved, as have the defensive moat, the fort’s parade-ground and many archaeological excavations.

1186
Duke Sambor I of Gdańsk presents to the newly-built Cistercian monastery in Oliwa the settlements of Stawowo and Gręzowo, both within the present boundaries of Sopot. In the so-called foundation act of the Oliwa monastery (a forgery from the 13th century is held by the State Archives in Gdańsk) the names of these places are given as: Stanowe and Gransowi.

1212-1214
Duke Mściwój I presents to the Norbertine Convent in Żukowo the settlement of Świemirowo, recorded at the time as Swemirowe.

1260
Mściwój’s son, Świętopełk, adds to his father’s gift to the Norbertine Convent a fishing harbour on the sea-shore. The name was recorded in Świętopełk’s document as Swemirowo.

1283
Duke Mściwój II of Gdańsk, in return for lands lost near Gniew to the Teutonic order, presents the Oliwa monastery with 16 villages, including Sopot and Brodwino. In the oldest document, from 5 March 1283, the names of these villages are recorded as Sopoth and Brudvino. In two confirmations of this same privilege, presented to the Teutonic Order on 7 March 1283, the name is recorded as Sopot, and this is repeated many times in later documents.

1316
The Norbertines from Żukowo by way of exchange of goods cede Świemirowo to the Cistercians in Oliwa.

1551
Rich Gdańsk merchants begin the process of leasing the lands of the village of Sopot from the Oliwa Cistercians and building on them imposing country residences, called manor houses. In a few dozen years the poor peasant village near the monastery is transformed into a summer retreat for Gdańsk patricians. Apart from their leisure function, the Sopot manor houses also played the role of centres of social and cultural life.

1596
The oldest remaining cartographic document of Sopot, a nautical map of the Bay of Gdańsk drawn by Walter Clemens, shows the village of Sopot as a series of several single-storey houses situated on the upper terrace, where today’s Niepodległości Ave., 1 maja str. and Bohaterów Monte Cassino str. meet. The lower terrace, later to become the site of Dolny [Lower] Sopot, is shown on the map as an uninhabited area of wetland, dissected by the beds of various streams.

1650
The Gdańsk painter Bartłomiej Milwitz paints an oil painting with dimensions of 1 x 3 metres depicting the sea battle off Oliwa in 1627. The painting is a kind of panoramic map and includes battle scenes on the waters of the bay and a fragment of the Gdańsk coast from Wisłoujście [the mouth of the Vistula] to Kępa Redłowska [the Redłowo Wood]. The artist also shows here the Sopot manor houses – about 20 buildings with red roofs situated around a large rectangular square in the place where today 1 maja str. and Niepodległości Ave. meet . Moreover there are other individual possessions: manor houses in Stawowie and in Karlikowo (together with a still extant dammed pond on the Karlikowski Potok [Stream]) and a pond and a mill on the Kamienny Potok [Stony Stream], preserved intact to this day. The key in the bottom left-hand corner of the painting provides the oldest remaining written records of parts of modern Sopot: Karlikowo (Carlkau) and Kamienny Potok (in the German version Steinflies).

1660
The national delegation to the peace talks in Oliwa after the end of the wars with Sweden stayed in the manor houses in Sopot. The manor in Karlikowo hosted the Polish king, Jan Kazimierz, and his wife, Louisa Maria Gonzaga, while the Dwór Francuski [French Manor house] hosted the commissars of the Swedish delegation under the leadership of Count Magnus de la Gardie. Other representatives of the Swedish delegation, some 200 people in number, were billeted in the remaining manor houses.

1714
The Royal Geometrician, Johannes Casparus Schirschmit, commissioned by Sopot landowners, drew up a detailed plan of Sopot and the surrounding areas showing, for example, the locations and silhouettes of the manor houses together with their gardens, the boundaries of the land belonging to each manor, and a list of their owners. On the map we can see 13 manor houses, an inn and a garden with guest-houses on the upper terrace, as well as the residence of the village elder surrounded by five fishermen’s huts by the sea-shore. The manor in Karlikowo, the mill in Kamienny Potok and Stawowie are shown in a way similar to but more detailed than the painting by Milwitz. The inscription on the map states that the undeveloped area of Brodwino is completely covered by a spruce forest. Dolny Sopot is covered by meadows and pasture-land.

1734
During the war of succession for the Polish crown between the supporters of Stanisław Leszczyński and those of August III, the Russian armies surrounding Gdańsk burned all the Sopot manor houses (13 May). A few years later only the inn, Dwór Hiszpański [Spanish Manor house], Dwór Karlikowski [Karlikowo Manor house] and Dwór Francuski [French Manor house] had been rebuilt, in a form more modest than before the war.

 

1756-1760
Most of the Sopot lands (eight old manor houses) are taken over by the Polish magnate General Count Józef Przebendowski. Joachim Deptowski is the owner of Dwór Francuski, Gotfryd Dehn of Dwór Duński [Danish Manor house], and Ludwig Gralath of Karlikowo. The village elder is Henryk Killer and he is the administrator of a humble fishing village on the sea-shore.

1772
After the First Partition of Poland Sopot is allocated to Prussia. The Prussian administration draws up a detailed list of the inhabitants of Sopot and the livestock (in the collection of Berlin Archives to this day). There were 301 inhabitants in Sopot at this time.

1774
The Gdańsk entrepreneur takes over the estate of Stawowie, which had been confiscated from the Oliwa Cistercians. He builds a roadside tavern on the land.

1793
Count Kajetan Sierakowski from Waplewo in the District of Sztum buys from the heirs of Piotr Killer the lands of the old Dwór Sołecki [Village Elder’s Manor house] and after four years exchanges them with the owner of Dwór Francuski for a developed plot of land at the edge of the Sopot Escarpment. On this plot he builds a still surviving classical summer manor house and lays out a park.

1804
Przebendowski’s goods are taken over by Karol Krzysztof Wegber from Gdańsk. In the middle of the village he builds another manor house, and next to it he lays out the Park Wiejski [Country Park] with seven ponds on the Potok Środkowy [Middle Stream]. The park had originally been laid out in patrician days.

1807
In Paris a detailed map of Gdańsk and the surrounding area, including Sopot, was drawn up for the requirements of the Napoleonic campaign. This map is still in the possession of the Gdańsk archives. In the spring, during the siege of Gdańsk, the French armies were stationed in Sopot, and after the establishment of the Free City of Gdańsk, a customs post was set up in Sopot. Józef Antoni Meyerhold took over the estate of Dwór Francuski.

1813
During the siege of Gdańsk, which was defended by the French, the Cossack armies stationed in Sopot plundered the local population.

1814
Kajetan Sierakowski sold his summer residence to the Gdańsk merchant and banker, Daniel Gotthelf Frantzius. In the village there were 20 dwellings , including 4 very substantial ones.

1819
The first attempts were made to set up a bathing-site in Sopot, inspired by the existence since 1808 of a similar site in the neighbouring Brzeźno. On the site of today’s Grand Hotel Karol Krzysztof Wegner, the owner of the biggest fortune in Sopot, built a modest, wooden bath-house with two baths and a boiler for warming the sea-water, as well as a wooden changing-room for those bathing in thesea. In the following year this establishment served 87 health-seekers, and after two years of activity, 167. The Prussian authorities began the modernisation of the main road from Gdańsk through Sopot to Berlin and built beside this road an inter-denominational school.

1823
Jan Jerzy Haffner from Colmar, a former doctor in the Napoleonic Army, who had settled in Gdańsk in 1808, built the first brick building of a hot baths complex with 6 baths and he also laid out the Królewskie Planty [Royal Park] around this building. All of this was on land on the sea-shore obtained from the Prussian Treasury. By the mouth of the Potok Elizy [Eliza Stream], now called the Potok Haffnera [Haffner Stream], he constructed wooden changing-rooms for ladies bathing in the sea, while near the mouth of the Potok Kuźniczy [Forge Stream], similar changing-rooms for gentlemen were built. Along the Sopot Escarpment, on land belonging to the old Dwór Francuski, the Meyerholds laid out a park, known as Lasek [Little Wood], open to the public. In the old Dwór Hiszpański a postal station was established. The first guide-book to the health resort of Sopot was published, with a list of regulations for the bathing guests, approved by the authorities.

1824
Next to the Bathing Establishment the first Dom Zdrojowy [Spa House] is built. Sopot streets are given official names: Gdańska and Pomorska (today Niepodległości Ave.), Morska (Bohaterów Monte Cassino), Podgórna (1 maja), Południowa (Grunwaldzka) and Północna (Powstańców Warszawy). Sopot is made up of Górna Wieś [Upper Village] and Dolna Wieś [Lower Village], separated from each other by a belt of meadows and pasture-lands. Houses in both parts of Sopot (24 in total) have separate numbers.

1826-1827
The weekly gazette Kallisto appears, a joint publication of the resorts of Sopot and Brzeźno, including a list of the guests who have come to the resorts. A wooden jetty, 41 metres in length, is built on piles driven into the bottom of the bay. Sopot, with 570 permanent residents, serves 450 health-seekers in the course of the season.

1830
Jan Jerzy Haffner dies. His heirs rebuild the Dom Zdrojowy [Spa House] and add a terrace on 12 columns and guest-rooms in the attic. The Gdańsk geometrician Schaper draws a detailed map of the village of Sopot (now in the Gdańsk Library).

1842
The brick building of the Bathing Establishment is moved (on rollers) 50 metres to the south, after which the Dom Zdrojowy [Spa House] is rebuilt – it gains a theatre, an observation terrace on the seaward side and a columned porch. On the site of the old changing-rooms the Łazienki Południowe [Southern Bath-house] (for ladies) and the Łazienki Północne [Northern Bath-house] (for gentlemen) are built. Bathing jetties with wooden shelters are built out into the sea. Two sizeable tourist guide-books of Sopot are published.

1843-1844
The Sopot gazette Zoppoter Bade Blatt is published. Lieutenant Strieber draws yet another detailed plan of Sopot, printed in Berlin. Sopot now has 154 houses, 930 permanent inhabitants and serves over 1000 guests in one season. This state of affairs is maintained more or less intact through the next quarter of a century.

1856
The Gdańsk industrialist Heinrich Teodor Behrend takes over the tavern in Stawowie and lays out an eight-hectare park with a neo-Renaissance palace in the middle.

1870
The opening of the railway line between Gdańsk and Koszalin. The first churches are built in Sopot: a neo-Gothic chapel for Catholics on Północna str. and a half-timbered Protestant church in Park Południowy [Southern Park]. The intensive development of this summer settlement and its transformation into a fashionable bathing-place with an urban character begins.

1872
A water-pipe network drawing water from the springs of the Potok Kuźniczy is opened.

1874
The establishment of the communal authority in Sopot. Karlikowo, Świemirowo and Stawowie are incorporated into Sopot. As a result of this the number of permanent inhabitants of Sopot grows from 2139 to 2834. A new establishment for hot baths is constructed with 26 baths and treatment rooms. The Bath-houses are rebuilt. A new establishment for ladies is built at the mouth of the Potok Babidolski.

1877
The commune authorities buy the health establishment from Haffner’s heirs. The development of Dolny Sopot reaches the Escarpment. The first tourist guide-book for the forests is published – this is an area for walks for health-seekers.

1880
The construction of a new wooden Dom Zdrojowy [Spa House]. The arrangement of the Skwer Kuracyjny [Curative Square] sheltered from the sea by galleries for walks and with pavilions on the corners. Extension of the jetty to 94 metres and the addition of a rectangular platform with mooring for ships. The opening of the Victoria Hotel in Górny Sopot, on the edge of the Escarpment.

1885
The first gas-works in Sopot.

1887
Sopot now has 4800 permanent residents and serves 5280 health-seekers in the course of a season. There are 573 dwellings in the village, of which 148 are summer-houses, uninhabited during the winter period. Yet another Sopot guide-book appears, written by the local writer Elisa Püttner.

1889
The first publication of the gazette Zoppoter Anzeiger (at the beginning of the 20th century it was replaced by the Zoppoter Zeitung, published three times a week until the end of the second World War as the official organ of the council and the Sopot police).

1893
The eclectic court building is built with a prison behind it.

1894
The opening of the Sanatorium Bałtyckie [Baltic Sanatorium] on Haffnera 35 str. (now Sobieskiego str.).

1897
Construction of the Werminghoff Hotel at the corner of Morska str. and Południowa str. The opening of the first tennis courts near the Park Północny. The power station is opened. The first number of the Sopocka Gazetka Kąpielowa [Sopot Bathing Gazette], published three times a week until 1902.

1898
Opening of the race-course in Karlikowo. Opening of the water-pipe network disposing of sewage onto irrigation fields in Jelitkowo.

1900-1901
The building of the Protestant Kościół Zbawiciela [Church of the Saviour](today the Kościół Garnizonowy [Garrison Church]). The commune council begins the procedure for the granting of civic rights to Sopot. The Kaiser’s decree of 8 October 1901 begins the procedure of transforming the administration into urban structures.
Sopot has 10,000 inhabitants and serves 12,500 health-seekers in the course of one season.

1902
On 1 April Sopot formally receives civic rights. A Mayor and a Town Council are appointed. Beginning of the building of the Catholic Church Najświętszej Marii Panny Gwiazdy Morza [Blessed Virgin Mary Star of the Sea].

1903
Construction of a new Southern Bath-house and a new gasworks by Jelitkowska str.

1904
The opening of the new Zakład Wodoleczniczy [Water Treatment Establishment]. Building of the neo-Renaissance Grammar School for Girls on Gdańska str.

1905
Publication of the monograph Chronik der Stadt Seebad Zoppot (History of Sopot), written by the Gdańsk historian Fritz Schultz.

1907
Building of the new Southern Bath-house.

1908
Opening of the first toboggan run on the slopes of the Wzgórze Trzech Gracji [Hill of the Three Graces].

1909
Opening of the neo-Baroque Metropol Hotel on Morska str. The first performancein the newly-constructed Opera Leśna [Forest Opera]. Construction of the new building for the Gimnazjum Realne [Real Grammar School]. Dismantling of the wooden Dom Zdrojowy [Spa House].

1910-1912
Building of the new Dom Zdrojowy [Spa House] with a theatre, dancing room, restaurants, reading-room, wine-bar, hotel rooms and observation terraces. The pier is extended to 315 metres. Opening of more courts and the new headquarters of the tennis club. Building of a new town hall. Opening of a new municipal shooting-range and a new toboggan run near the Opera Leśna.

1913
Building of a synagogue near today’s Jarosława Dąbrowskiego str.

1914
Sopot has 17,000 inhabitants and serves 20,100 bathers. Outbreak of the First World War.

1919
The completion of the second Evangelical Church (begun in 1914) in the Park Południowy. In one of the rooms of the Dom Zdrojowy [Spa House] Sopot’s first casino is opened.

1920
As part of the settlement of the Versailles Treaty Sopot becomes part of the Free City of Gdańsk, as a separate district.

 

1922
The first annual Wagner Festival in the Opera Leśna [Forest Opera House].

1923
Reconstruction of the southern wing of the Dom Zdrojowy into the site of the casino. Gala celebrations of the 100th anniversary of the establishment of sea-bathing in Sopot. Beginning of the construction of the Stadion Stulecia [Stadium of the Century] in Dolina Owcza [Sheep Valley].

1926
Opening of the Stadion Stulecia. The number of permanent inhabitants in Sopot exceeds 25,000 and maintains this level until 1939.

1927
Opening of the monumental Hotel Kasyno [Casino Hotel], now known as the Grand Hotel.

1928
Extension of the pier to the length it has today. Enclosure of the Skwer Kuracyjny with semi-circular promenade colonnades.

1932
Construction of a modern building for the Higher Lyceum in Sopot (today the First General Grammar School).

1936
The first number of an illustrated Sopot monthly, Die Möwe, published regularly until 1940.

1938
Nazis burn down the synagogue. Devastation of the Jewish Cemetery.

1939
Outbreak of the Second World War. Extermination of the Jewish population and a considerable number of inhabitants of Polish origin.

1945
Soviet forces enter Sopot on 23 March. Burning of the health centre and the Dom Kuracyjny [Treatment House], the Casino, the Metropol Hotel and the Werminghoff Hotel. In all of Sopot some 135 buildings were destroyed as a result of wartime activity (about 10% of the total). Influx of new settlers and resettlement of German-speaking inhabitants. The Sopot town hall houses the new provincial council and the government delegates charged with rebuilding the north coast. New town council appointed. Establishment of the Baltic Philharmonia, Dramatic Theatre, Higher Fine Arts School, Musical Institute.

1946
Headquarters of the provincial council moved to Gdańsk.

1947
Establishment of the Higher School of Maritime Trade and the Higher Musical School. Opening of the Gdańsk Trade Fair in wooden pavilions built on part of the foundations of the old Dom Zdrojowy.

1948
First Festival of Fine Arts in Sopot. The Pavilions from the Trade Fair are given over for artistic exhibitions.

1950
Sopot has 36,700 permanent inhabitants. 2,200 of them lived here before the war.

1952
The first electric suburban train linking Sopot and Gdańsk, the following year to Gdynia as well.

1954
The Higher School of Fine Arts transfers to Gdańsk.

1956
Poland’s first International Festival of Jazz Music.

1961
The First International Song Contest in the Opera Leśna.

1964
The Opera Leśna is covered with a roof of fabric.

1966
Beginning of intensive activity of housing co-operatives leading to the building in the next few years of seven housing estates of ten-storey blocks of flats.

1971-1975
Opening of the new concrete Łazienki Północne. Construction of a complex of sanatoria and hotels near Bitwy pod Płowcami str. and of university buildings on Armii Krajowej str.

1976
The first publication of Rocznik Sopocki [Sopot Almanac], still one of the fundamental sources of knowledge about the history, cultural life and contemporary problems of the town.

1977
Sopot has its highest number of permanent inhabitants (54,500).

1979
Official recognition of Sopot as an urban complex of monuments. Sopot protected by the state conservation services.

1991
Publication of Tygodnik Sopot [Sopot Weekly], transformed after two years into the weekly Gazeta Miasta Sopot [Sopot Town Gazette].

1995
Reconstruction of Łazienki Południowe into a restaurant and hotel complex. Building of the Institute of Oceanology of the Polish Academy of Sciences near the Park Północny.

1995 
Lech Wałęsa is awarded the honorary citizenship of Sopot.

1997 
Opening of St. Adalbert's Spring  – a fountain with curative saline water.

1998
Unveiling of the Polish Home Army Monument, situated opposite the Faculty of Management of Gdansk University.


1999
Sopot is officialy recognised as a health resort. His Holiness, John Paul II celebrates a mass for 800,000 pilgrims at the Sopot Hippodrome.

2000
Sopot and Gdańsk are connected with a seaside cycling route.

Tina Turner's concert for 60,000 fans is organised at the Sopot Hippodrome.

2001
Official celebration of the centenary of Sopot achieving city status begins. The celebration includes a number of smaller and bigger events. Some of them, such as:  Bohaterów Monte Cassino Street Name Day, the Official International Jumping Competition CSIO organised at the Sopot Hippodrome and the National Festival of Polish Radio and Television – "Two Theatres" become annual attractions.

Beginning of the "100 Elevations for 100 Years Programme", which involves the city's financial assistance for renovation of historic houses.

Opening of the Museum of Sopot in the former Ernst Claaszen villa at Poniatowskiego Street. 

Official opening of Hala Stulecia  [Centennial Hall] at Goyki Street, the training centre for the Trefl Sopot basketball players.

Czesław Miłosz, Izabela Sierakowska-Tomaszewska, Andrzej Dudziński, Elżbieta Duńska-Krzesińska and Seweryn Krajewski are awarded the honorary citizenship of Sopot.

The 10th World Polonia Games are organised in Sopot sport venues.
Installation of a replica of the 13-meter-high Giewont Cross near the Church of the Holy Spirit – a gift from a twin town Zakopane.
Opening of Hotel Rezydent with 64 rooms, a restaurant, a pub and a sauna.

Official opening of Ergo Hestia's general office.

Re-opening of the Spatif club after the 2-year reconstruction work. 

2002
Official naming of a square situated next to the Polish Home Army Monument after Danuta Siedzikówna (nicknamed Inka), a medical orderly in the 5th Wilno Brigade of the Polish Home Army, murdered by UB. 

Opening of the tunnel under Aleja Niepodległości Street.

Opening of the Aquapark at Zamkowa Góra Street.

2003
Installation of an internet camera at the end of Sopot Pier. The view registered by the camera is available at www.sopot.pl.

Krzywy Domek [the Crooked House] is constructed. It becomes the most photographed building in Sopot.

The first Top Trendy Festival is organised in the Forest Opera.

Official opening of the Sopot Sailing Club's new headquarters – the Windsurfing and Sailing Centre, covering the area of 8000 m 2.

Demolition of the old footbridge over the railway track at the Sopot Kamienny Potok train station and completion of a modern tunnel and platform.

Completion of the "Trzy Gracje" service and housing complex at Bohaterów Monte Cassino Street.

A well with saline water is opened. Drinkable, dilluted saline water gushes from the fountain situated in front of Zakład Balneologiczny [the Balneotherapy Centre]. 

2005
Following the death of the pope John Paul II, a "white march" is organised. The prayers held at the Sopot Hippodrome are attended by a few thousand people. The City Council adopts the resolution of naming Sopot Pier after John Paul II. 

Poczta Polska [Polish Postal Service] issues a special stamp dedicated to Sopot. The stamp of the face value of 2.20 PLN portrays Sopot Pier, a blue sea and a beach.
Wynton Marsalis and band gives a concert at the Sopot Jazz Festival.

2006

The City Council sets the names and boundaries of the districts. From now on, the resort has seven official districts: Upper and Lower Sopot, Karlikowo, Świemirowo, Stawowie, Brodwino and Kamienny Potok.

Centrum Organizacji Lokalnej Przedsiębiorczości Społecznej im. Św Benedykta [The Saint Benedict's Centre for Social Entrepreneurship] is opened at Aleja Niepodległości Street.
The famous Academy of st. Martin in the Fields conducted by Carlo Rizzi gives a concert celebrating the 15th anniversary of Ergo Hestia. 
Sir Elton John is a guest star at the Sopot Festival. 

A company from Sopot, SMT Shipmenagment & Transport  names a purchased bulk carrier after the city. M/V Sopot transports iron ore in South America.

The Education and Training Centre of Gdansk University is opened at Piaskowa Street. 

2007

Władysław Bartoszewski is awarded the honorary citizenship of Sopot.

Official commissioning  of a newly-refurbished marketplace at Polna Street, named "Non Stop".

The Polish Chamber Philharmonic Orchestra celebrates its 25th anniversay with an all-year cycle of concerts with famous soloists.

The greatest disco stars of the 70's give concerts at the Sopot Festival: Gloria Geynor, Sister Sledge, Village People, Kool&The Gang.

The city officialy passes over a new fishing harbour to the local fishermen. The pavilions cover an area of 800 m².


2008
The direct railway connection between Sopot and Zakopane is restored. The PKP Intercity  train gets an official name "Monciak-Krupówki".

The tunnel under Monte Cassino Street is officially commissioned.

Sopot receives the title of Samorządowy Lider Zarządzania [the Leader in Municipal Management], in the field of housing management. Związek miast Polskich i Powiatów [The Association of Polish Cities and Municipalities] awards Sopot a special title for refurbishment of houses.

The sculpture "Dwaj ludzie z szafą" [Two Men and a  Wardrobe] made by Paweł Althamer is unveiled on the beach, next to Pier.  The event was attended by Roman Polański, the director of the film which the sculpture refers to.

The Obelisk dedicated to Zbigniew Herbert is unveiled.

The number of cars registered in Sopot exceeds the number of inhabitants by 3,000.

2009 
The city begins a periodic issue of special coins, Sopot Guldens, minted to commemorate the 100-year anniversary of the Forest Opera and the 50-year anniversary of Polish rock and roll music.

The new city centre (Centrum Haffnera) is officialy commissioned. It is the most important financial undertaking after 1990, carried out from 2006 to 2009. Thanks to the reconstruction Sopot regains its vital part, ruined during the war. The centre includes:  the Spa House (the fourth in the city's history), the new seat of the National Gallery of Art, the Sheraton Hotel, the Multikino Cinema, a shopping precinct, a parking with an office complex and a house.

The renovated Park Północny is commissioned.

The museum receives scanned issues of "Copocka Gazetka Kąpielowa" [Sopot's Bath Magazine] from 1897, 1900 and 1902, sent by the National Library of Lwów. 

 A concert version of "The Rhine Gold" by Richard Wagner is staged to celebrate the 100-year anniversary of the Forest Opera. 

The Prime Minister of Russia, Władimir Putin visits Poland on the occassion of the 70th anniversary of the beginning of World War II. The Russian delegation books the whole Grand Hotel. The Russian Prime Minister meets the Polish Prime Minister, Donald Tusk on Sopot Pier.

The Archbishop of Gdańsk, Tadeusz Gocłowski is awarded the honorary citizenship of Sopot.

A documentary on the pre-war, Polish inhabitants of Sopot is shown in the Multikino cinema.

Electronic registers are introduced in all schools in Sopot. 

2010
75 new council houses are built at Niepodległości Street and Zacisze Street.

Sopot commemorates Smolensk plane crash victims naming some of the public places after people connected with the city:  Lech and Maria Kaczyński Park, Arkadiusz Rybicki Square, Maciej Płażyński Roundabout. 

Commission of the Sopot Wyścigi train station. 

Due to the renovation of the Forest Opera, the Top Trendy Festival is organised in a special tent at the Sopot Hippodrome.

The newly-built Scena Kameralna Teatru Wybrzeże [Wybrzeże Theater Chamber Stage], located in the old Bałtyk Cinema building, is officially opened.

The winning match of Polish volleball players with Brazil  inaugurates a new sport venue - Ergo Arena, located on the border between Sopot and Gdańsk.

A brass band concert celebrates the commission of the newly-restored Sopot SKM train station.

A pump room with saline water is officialy opened on the last floor of the Spa House.

A painting depicting the beach in Sopot, painted in the 1930s by Józef Czapski is given to the Museum of Sopot.

An artifical salt grotto is opened in the Leśnik sanatory. 

2011

One of the streets adjacent to the "Non Stop" marketplace is named after Krzysztof Klenczon.

Ergo Arena wins the best sport venue category in the "Polska Architektura 2010" [Polish Architecture 2010] competiton. Concerts organised in Ergo Arena star among others: Sting, Erykah Badu, Pink Floyd, Chris Botti, Ozzy Obourne, Rammstein and Disney On Ice. The next Top Trendy Festival is organised in Ergo Arena.

Plac Przyjaciół Sopotu [Sopot Friends Square] is commissioned after extensive renovations. 

The new marina at Sopot Pier, with over a hundred places available, is officially opened. Sopot is one of the host cities during Polish Presidency of the European Union, becoming the meeting place for European diplomats.

The final match of the FIVB Volleyball World League is played in Ergo Arena. Poland wins the third place.

The Multi- Disciplinary Artistic and Cultural Centre "Zatoka Sztuki" [The Bay of Art]  is opened in the rebuilt Łazienki Północne. The educational centre is opened in the early medieval settlement "Grodzisko".


2012
The most famous circus of the world, Cirque de Soleil, gives a performance in Ergo Arena.

The reborn Sopot Trefl basketball team wins the Polish Basketball Cup. 

TVP Gdańsk broadcasts a new documentary about the city, entitled "Sopot Miasto Sztuki" [Sopot - The City of Art].

The square next to Ergo Arena gets a common name, the same in Sopot and in Gdańsk – Plac Dwóch Miast [The Square of the Two Cities]. The name of the square is chosen in a competition organised for inhabitants of both cities.


By: Tomasz Kot


Weather Camera